Sunday, October 21, 2007

Martial dud

Ok, I'm feeling kind of lazy so I'm not creating any original work today.

I've always have been waiting for an article like this.

Read it before moving on.

Well, it certainly is quite idiotic for that person to willingly cut his own hand (in the video). I mean, by spitting salted water around in a circle around yourself you can enhance the tensile strength of your arm? That's plain crazy. One curious thing is that why do these kind of people keep on claiming that they have performed their magic many times before but whenever the camera comes along, their magic disappears? What's with a camera? It just captures reflected light, and maybe project an extremely weak electro-magnetic field if it runs on electricity, which is still weaker than the Earth's field. How does that in anyway affects us? We aren't magnetic as far as I can tell, and whatever small electricity running through our bodies are well insulated.

Anyway, I've been waiting for a scientific article like this to come up for quite some time (probably because I haven't been actively searching, accidentally stumbled upon this one). I was always a critic of martial arts, wu shu, if you like. It's a mystery why they included it as a school activity, there's nothing special about it that any other kinds of exercise can't do. And it certainly isn't very practical, at a time where guns is used in warfare and guided missiles for even further but still accurate warfare, what good will a sword and spear do? And have you noticed the amount of students falling asleep whenever they do a demonstration? At least sports don't trigger that kind of reflexes, not that I would attend sport events. Yes, I know that some people are amazed by people twirling swords and spears and who know what other fake weapons around arms and hands, and by people raising their legs quite high. Well then go do that in your own spare time, you don't see us being forced to watch a soccer match, do you?

To get people to teach and learn these kind of traditional things in the name of preserving culture is just asking for too much. Let me tell you a secret, if these things really work, they wouldn't be called traditional anymore, it would be mainstream. That goes the same for traditional medicine, and traditional practices, traditional explanations, traditional superstition, traditional astronomy even traditional clothing. Any tradition that wastes my time is one tradition too many.

Finally, stop believing in tradition, and stop believing that it works either. It might be sad (not for me, I'm happy) to lose some culture, but it's much better that way.

P.S. Things from the ancient world that works aren't called traditional, they're called classical.

And I'm shocked, that stupid martial artist instructor didn't know about evaporation/condensation! By his logic the outlet hose of my clothe dryer is strong in CHI because it radiates droplets of condensed water on tiles away from itself.

P.P.S. I hate that statue guy for killing Magellan, that man deeply wanted to go back to Europe to prove the world wrong that the world is flat, instead he was killed and most of his expedition was sunk.

No comments: